The combination of baking soda and lemon together is an important natural remedy for several conditions due to its many health benefits including neutralizing the body’s pH level.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), a chemical compound composed of sodium ions and bicarbonate ions. It appears as a fine white powder and has many related names such as baking powder, cooking soda, bread soda, bicarb and even bica. 2
Lemons are one of the highest known sources of Vitamin C. The small yellow fruit of the lemon tree contains 5 to 6 percent citric acid and is universally used as a cooking additive and cleaning agent. Lemon is used as the juice and the zest or rind and is instantly recognized for its distinctive sour taste. 2
Many people suffer from an excessive acidic condition known as “Acidosis” which is a leading pathogenic force in the development of chronic disease specifically cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, autoimmune disorder and osteoporosis. Keeping a healthy PH level is fundamental to good health and one of the best combinations is mixing baking soda and lemon for health benefits. 1 2
Baking Soda and Lemon Health Uses and Health Benefits
Together, baking soda and lemon have tremendous health benefits. They’re known as a great equalizer and when mixed together have antioxidant and alkalizing properties. Baking soda and lemon effects include: 1,2
- Alkalizing: A mixture of lemon and baking soda combats acidosis which occurs when the kidneys are not removing enough acid from the body or when the body produces too much acid. The mixture also helps the body remove toxins and burn fats.
- Digestion: Lemons naturally help promote digestion by adding to the digestive acids. However, adding baking soda to lemon in a mixture has a compounding effect which greatly improves digestion. It’s a great anti-acid and helps to combat flatulence.
- Purifying: A baking soda and lemon mixture helps purify the liver by providing a good dose of Vitamin C and potassium.
- Regulating: Other baking soda and lemon health benefits are the regulating of LDL, the bad cholesterol, and improves cardiovascular health.
Baking soda and lemon uses also include the treatment of:
- Blackheads - Blackheads are skin blemishes that occur when the hair follicles in the skin pores become clogged with oil and keratin, which is skin debris. This produces an inflammation called pimples or acne. A topical mixture of baking soda and lemon is a highly-effective method of treating blackheads.
- Body Odor - Most body odor is caused by trimethylaminuria and is released in a person’s sweat, urine and breath. It gives off a foul odor and is due to intestinal dysbiosis, and altered metabolism or perhaps is from hormonal reasons. A mixture of baking soda and lemon is very effective in controlling body odor.
- Diarrhea - Diarrhea is loose, watery stool. It’s caused by many factors including dietary intake or a bacterial infection. An effective dietary treatment for diarrhea is lemon and baking soda that tightens the stool by regulating water in the digestive tract.
- Cancer - There is no proven cancer treatment or prevention benefit known to be directly attributed to baking soda and lemon however, overall, antioxidants defiantly play a role in cancer cause and treatment.
Baking Soda and Lemon Side Effects and Precautions
Side effects from taking baking soda and water are limited but caution should be used in over using the mixture. Baking soda should be considered unsafe for pregnant women or nursing mothers unless approved by a doctor. Baking soda is high in sodium and should be taken in moderation.
An ideal mixture of baking soda and lemon is adding 1 tablespoon of baking soda to one liter of water along with the juice of one whole lemon. 2