Bifidobacterium bifidum is a species of probiotic, or “good” bacteria, that lives in your gut.1 Probiotics aid in digestion by breaking down food and helping the body absorb nutrients.2 They also protect against “bad” bacteria.1 Bifidobacteria live in the lower end of the digestive system in the large intestine.3
Taking Bifidobacteria bifidum supplements is recommended in situations where your gut bacteria has been killed off, such as in the case with certain diseases or antibiotic medications.2 Antibiotics kill good bacteria as well as bad, and probiotic supplements help restore the good bacteria in your gut.1 Probiotics like Bifidobacterium bifidum can be found in foods like yogurt and cheese or taken as chewable supplements or oral powder.2,4
Bifidobacterium Bifidum Uses and Health Benefits
One of the most prominent Bifidobacterium bifidum benefits is that it’s said to treat irritable bowel syndrome symptoms like gas, pain, and constipation.5 One study showed that Bifidobacterium bifidum supplemental pills helped reduce symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome patients after one month of taking the pill.6
Bifidobacterium bifidum has also been shown to improve eczema symptoms by boosting the immune system and reducing allergic reactions in children.7 Bifidobacterium bifidum is even believed to assist in stress relief since stress can impact the balance of good bacteria in the gut.8 Other Bifidobacterium bifidum benefits include for:
- Diarrhea - Studies show that a mix of probiotics including Bifidobacterium bifidum in them can help treat traveler’s diarrhea caused by eating contaminated food. It’s also said to reduce diarrhea in infants and improve diarrhea symptoms caused by antibiotics, although more research is needed.
- Candidiasis - Candidiasis is a type of yeast infection that may be treated with Bifidobacterium bifidum.
- Lyme Disease - With its immune-boosting powers, Bifidobacterium bifidum may decrease Lyme disease symptoms.
- Constipation - Research suggests that Bifidobacterium can improve constipation symptoms in certain individuals.
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia) - In addition to these amazing Bifidobacterium bifidum uses, it may help lower cholesterol levels.
- Ulcerative Colitis - Ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease, and Bifidobacterium bifidum supplements could reduce symptoms.
Bifidobacterium Bifidum Side Effects and Precautions
As with any herbal supplement, it’s best to talk to your doctor before starting on a Bifidobacterium bifidum diet. Do not use probiotic supplements to replace medications prescribed by your doctor, and avoid taking multiple forms of the supplement at the same time.4 Since Bifidobacterium bifidum can impact the immune system, you should proceed with caution if you have a compromised immune system or are taking immunosuppressant drugs.5 Possible Bifidobacterium bifidum side effects can include bloating, gas, and upset stomach in some people.2