Blessed thistle is one of several species of thistle plants belonging to the Compositae family. Its botanical name is Carbenia benedicta and it’s also sometimes known as holy thistle. Blessed thistle has been used for centuries in natural medicine. It’s been called blessed or holy thistle because it is seen as a cure-all even being used to cure the plague.1
Blessed thistle grows throughout Europe, including in the United Kingdom and the Mediterranean. It also grows in parts of western Asia.
Blessed thistle is a long, narrow plant growing up to 2 feet high. It has many long, slender branches that produce leaves and flowerheads. The stems and branches of blessed thistle are covered in fine hairs. Thistle plants are known for their prickly flowerheads.1,2
Blessed Thistle Health Uses and Health Benefits
Blessed thistle dried leaves and flowering stems are used to create natural medicine. These parts of the plant are traditionally used to make tonics and extracts for a variety of healing methods.1,2
Blessed thistle health benefits come from its organic compounds and minerals such as lignans, tannins, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and manganese. It also has natural astringent properties for constricting blood flow.3,4
Blessed thistle benefits include:
- Acting as a natural diuretic
- Boosting energy levels
- Fighting bacterial and viral infections
- Stimulating digestion
- Purifying blood
- Improving respiration
- Reducing inflammation
Blessed thistle uses include being a natural remedy for the following conditions:
- Hypercholesterolemia (High Cholesterol) - The anti-inflammatory properties in blessed thistle can help improve heart health and lower cholesterol levels.
- Liver Disease - Blessed thistle uses as a tonic can help purify the blood and detoxify the liver.
- Indigestion - Blessed thistle benefits for indigestion help to reduce bloating, gas and cramping related to several digestive conditions.
- Memory Loss - Blessed thistle uses have traditionally been for boosting blood circulation to the brain to help improve memory loss.
- Poor Appetite - Blessed thistle acts as a natural digestive stimulant helping to increase poor appetite.
- Menstrual Problems - Blessed thistle helps to alleviate several menstrual problems including cramps and headaches.
Blessed Thistle Side Effects and Precautions
Blessed thistle side effects can occur when taken in large doses. These blessed thistle side effects may include nausea, vomiting and upset stomach. Do not take blessed thistle if you are pregnant or have stomach ulcers.3