Boldo leaves come from the boldo plant, an evergreen shrub known by the botanical name Pneumus Boldus. The boldo plant is native to Chile and Peru. It grows naturally in the fields of the Andes mountains. Boldo leaves have been used in traditional medicine by South American cultures for centuries.1,2
Boldo leaves are around 2 inches long and turn a red-brown color when dried. When crushed, boldo leaves emit an oil extract that has a foul odor similar to wormseed oil. Boldo leaf oil is a volatile oil that contains an alkaloid called boldine. Boldine can be toxic if taken in large doses internally.
Boldo leaves can be taken in an extract form, tincture or as dried leaves made into an herbal tea.
Boldo Leaves Health Uses and Health Benefits
Boldo leaves health benefits come from their content of phytochemicals, which are natural antioxidants found in plants. Some of the phytochemical antioxidants from boldo leaves include boldine, camphor and beta-pinene. Antioxidants are important to help fight against free radicals throughout the body, which cause damage to healthy cells.2
These health properties produce several natural medicinal therapies, including boldo leaves for liver health and protection.
Some of the important boldo leaves health benefits include:
- Acting as a natural diuretic and laxative
- Reducing inflammation
- Killing bacteria that cause dangerous infections
- Improving digestion by stimulating bile production
- Boosting appetite
- Boosting circulation and preventing blood clotting
Boldo leaf uses include being a natural therapy for the following conditions:
- Indigestion - Boldo leaves can help to improve bowel health and prevent indigestion.
- Liver Disease - Boldo leaves for liver disease is an important remedy that helps reduce jaundice and inflammation caused by liver disease.
- Diarrhea - Boldo leaf tea or tonic can help to relieve diarrhea.
- Parasitic Disease - Boldo leaves have natural antiparasitic health benefits that can treat parasitic disease by expelling worms from the body.
- Urinary Tract Infection - Boldo leaves can help kill bacteria trapped in the urinary tract that cause infections.
Boldo Leaves Side Effects and Precautions
Serious boldo leaves side effects can be experienced from toxic levels of oil extract. Boldo leaves side effects can include paralysis to nerves and muscles. Be sure to consult a qualified holistic health professional before taking boldo leaves for any condition.2