Bromelain is an enzyme that is responsible for digesting protein. The richest known and natural source of bromelain is found in the pineapple fruit. For this reason, pineapple and its bromelain enzyme content have been used for centuries in Central and South America to help with digestive conditions and to reduce inflammation.1
Bromelain health benefits are numerous, which makes it a natural and versatile remedy to treat a number of conditions.
Bromelain Health Uses and Health Benefits
The bromelain enzyme is an extremely useful natural treatment. Bromelain provides several important health benefits. The top bromelain health benefits include:1,2,3
- Natural anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling compound
- Powerful anti-cancer remedy that works particularly effectively on lung metastasis
- Helpful in relaxing tense and stressed muscles and connective tissues
- Supportive of treating autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Effective at treating digestive conditions including inflammatory bowel disease
- Can help repair ACL tears, muscles strains and tendonitis
- Can help support respiratory system including reducing asthma attacks and alleviating sinusitis
- Possible antiviral health benefits
With such diverse medicinal properties, it’s no wonder that bromelain, and pineapple in particular, can be used to treat a number of conditions.
Here are some of the top bromelain uses as natural treatments for conditions:1,2,4
- Ulcerative Colitis - Because bromelain enzyme supports digestion, it makes it an excellent health supplement for ulcerative colitis. Bromelain can help to properly digest foods as well as help to repair the gastrointestinal tract that has become damaged by colitis.
- Sprains, Strains and Sprained Ankles - Bromelain health benefits such as anti-inflammation and pain relief make it an excellent natural treatment for sprains, strains and sprained ankles. Taking bromelain may help to heal these conditions faster and strengthen muscles as they heal.
- Peyronie’s Disease - Bromelain enzymes may help to cure Peyronie’s disease because of its natural effect on collagen buildup. Bromelain may help to digest and reduce collagen which can reduce the curvature in the penis.
- Sinusitis - When nasal passages become congested with mucous due to a sinus infection, bromelain health benefits such as antiviral and anti-inflammatory activity can help to fight off sinusitis.
- Torn Rotator Cuff - Sports injuries such as a torn rotator cuff can be treated using bromelain as a supplement. Bromelain helps to reduce inflammation and support muscle and connective tissue as it heals from injury.
- Lymphedema - Lymphedema is characterized by fluid retention and swelling of lymph nodes. It compromises the lymphatic system. Bromelain may help to support lymphedema by reducing swelling and inflammation. Enzymes also naturally help to boost immune system function and bromelain in particular may help to produce more cancer-fighting substances in the body.
Bromelain Side Effects and Precautions
Here are some of the bromelain side effects and precautions to be aware of:1,2
- Do not take bromelain supplements if you are on blood thinners without first consulting your doctor. Bromelain naturally helps thin blood by reducing blood clots.
- Taking bromelain enzyme supplements may result in mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and heavy menstrual bleeding.
- People with certain food allergies such as pineapples, wheat, latex, pollen, fennel and more may react negatively to bromelain supplements.
Always consult your physician before taking bromelain supplements to treat any medical condition.