Cranberry juice is the natural juice that comes from cranberries - the berries from the cranberry shrub called vaccinium oxycoccos. Cranberry juice can be used as a natural remedy to treat a variety of health conditions due to its many health benefits.
When using cranberry juice as a natural remedy, it’s better to choose pure cranberry juice over cranberry juice from concentrate due to having a higher vitamin content.
Cranberry Juice Health Uses and Health Benefits
There are plenty of cranberry juice health benefits to consider when using this natural remedy. Cranberry juice is considered to be a superfood due to its high levels of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Some of the most important antioxidants and phytonutrients included in cranberries are: anthocyanins, quercetin, benzoic acid and epicatechins. 1
Here are the top cranberry juice benefits:1,2
- Contains high levels of antioxidants including proanthocyanidin compound
- Helps hydrate with electrolytes like potassium and sodium
- High nutritional value including vitamins and minerals like vitamins C, E, K and magnesium
- Supports heart health by increasing levels of good cholesterol
- Helps prevent and treat urinary tract infections
- Decreases inflammation throughout the body
- Contains cancer-preventing compounds
- Boosts immune system function
- Has digestive system cleansing benefits
- Supports cardiovascular function by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress
Cranberry juice contains natural compounds that make it a highly effective treatment against many sorts of bacterial infections, including in particular an Escherichia coli (e.coli) bacterial infection.5 These include bladder infections and infections in the digestive system which may cause gastric cancer or stomach ulcers.2
Cranberry health benefits make it an excellent remedy for many different conditions. Here are the conditions that cranberry juice can help with:
- Urinary Tract Infection - Cranberry juice contains proanthocyanidin compounds which work to fight off the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections.
- Bladder Infection (Cystitis) - The natural anti-inflammatory health benefits of cranberry juice help to reduce inflammation in the bladder caused by an infection.
- Mononucleosis - Cranberry juice benefits include being high in antioxidants which helps to fight a mononucleosis infection.
- Cystitis - The natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits of cranberry juice help to treat cystitis infections.
- Endometriosis - Cranberry juice benefits can help to treat endometriosis and relieves pelvic pain.
- Genital Warts - Cranberry juice contains high levels of antioxidants which help to fight off genital warts infections.
Cranberry Juice Side Effects and Precautions
Cranberry juice is generally a safe remedy, but there are some precautions to be aware of. Here are the potential cranberry juice side effects:1,4
- Cranberry juice may enhance the effect that blood thinning medications have on the body.
- Cranberry juice can possibly promote urine oxalate excretion which may increase the risk of forming kidney stones.
- Cranberry juice has an acidic pH level and it may counteract against some antacid medications.