Fleeceflower root is an herbal remedy that comes from Traditional Chinese Medicine. It’s derived from the root tuber of the Polygonum multiflorum Thunb plant. In Chinese medicine, it’s known as He Shou Wu and goes by the Latin name of Radix Polygoni Multiflori. Polygonum multiflorum Thunb belongs to the Polygonaceae family of plants.1
Fleeceflower root is widely produced across China, including in the Henan, Hubei, Guizhou, provinces. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, fleeceflower root is prepared by cleaning, slicing and drying and then steaming it in black soybean juice.1,2,3
The fleeceflower root tuber takes an interesting shape. It has combined tubers resembling the shape of human with a head, body, and limbs. Fleeceflower root has both a bitter and sweet taste and smell with astringent qualities.1,2,3
Fleeceflower Root Health Uses and Health Benefits
Fleeceflower root benefits come from its natural organic compounds, including antioxidants like catechin and resveratrol. Fleeceflower root also contains important trace minerals like manganese, iron, zinc and calcium.2
Fleeceflower root benefits have been be widely used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries. The therapeutic fleeceflower root benefits come from a tonifying effect that cleanses the blood, heart, liver, kidneys and digestive organs.1,2
These astringent and tonifying effects also give fleeceflower root benefits for vitality, energy and sexuality.3
Other fleeceflower root benefits include:
- Treating grey hair and hair loss
- Preventing dizziness and weakness
- Treating viral infections, including malaria
- Healing digestive issues
- Regulating blood pressure
- Enhancing cognitive function
Traditionally, fleeceflower root uses have included being a natural remedy for the following:
- Angina (Chest Pain) - Being a heart tonic, fleeceflower root has been used to heal heart diseases and stop associated symptoms like angina.
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) - Fleeceflower root uses include being a natural regulator of high blood pressure.
- Vaginal Discharge (Leukorrhea) - Traditional fleeceflower root uses have been for nourishing the body and preventing recurrent conditions like vaginal discharge.
- Insomnia (Sleep Disorder) - As a vitality tonic, fleeceflower root can help increase energy levels and tonify to reduce stress and improve sleep disorders.
- Erectile Dysfunction - Traditional fleeceflower root uses as a tonic have also shown to help improve sexual function and treat erectile dysfunction.
Fleeceflower Root Side Effects and Precautions
Taking uncontrolled doses can cause fleeceflower root side effects such as stomach pain, gastritis, diarrhea and loss of appetite or can aggravate these symptoms. Consult a professional herbalist before taking fleeceflower root to treat a particular condition.2