Gugulipid is a natural medicine used in Ayurveda, the traditional medicine system of India. As an ancient herb, gugulipid has been used for thousands of years to treat a variety of conditions. Gugulipid is the resin extract of the mukul myrrh tree from India. Gugulipid is also known as guggul. Guggul comes from the Sanskrit word guggulu, meaning “protects from disease”.1
There are several different varieties of gugulipid. They are classified by the color of the gum and at what age it was extracted. It is believed to be a very potent remedy with a potency lasting up to 20 years. 1 Gugulipid is widely available as a supplement in capsule form.
Gugulipid Health Uses and Health Benefits
Gugulipid benefits include being a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. These health properties mean that gugulipid is often used as a natural way to prevent diseases that are caused by oxidative stress and inflammation.2
One of the most well-known benefits is gugulipid for cholesterol. Gugulipid is known for helping to manage cholesterol levels. It helps to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase good cholesterol (HDL). It also helps to lower triglyceride levels. These gugulipid benefits help to fight against and prevent heart disease.2
Gugulipid also helps to prevent the buildup of plaque in the arteries, which supports cardiovascular health and prevents the risk of heart attack.2
Other gugulipid health benefits include:
- Lowering risk of blood clots
- Treating joint pain and swelling
- Improving thyroid function
- Aiding in weight loss
- Treating urinary and menstrual problems
- Preventing skin diseases
Gugulipid is traditionally used as a natural remedy for the following conditions:
- Osteoarthritis - Gugulipid can be used to help reduce inflammation caused by osteoarthritis.
- High Cholesterol (Cholesterolemia) - Gugulipid for cholesterol is a natural remedy to help improve heart health. Gugulipid naturally lowers bad cholesterol levels.
- Arthritis - Gugulipid is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help reduce joint pain and inflammation caused by arthritis.
- Atherosclerosis (Arteriosclerosis) - Gugulipid can help to reduce the buildup of plaque in the arteries, a condition called arteriosclerosis.
- Weight Loss (Lose Weight) - Gugulipid can be used as a natural remedy for weight loss, by lowering triglyceride levels, which cause weight gain.
Gugulipid Side Effects and Precautions
There are no known severe gugulipid side effects. Some mild gugulipid side effects may include upset stomach, allergic reaction to the skin, belching and hiccups.3