Job’s tears are the seeds that come from the Coix lacryma-jobi L plant. They’re also called coix seeds or Chinese pearl barley. The coix plant is a tropical plant native to East Asia. This plant is part of the grass family of plants called Poaceae.
The seeds Job’s tears are small, round seeds that are tear-shaped. They range in color including white, brown, yellow and purple. They’re used for several purposes including food, medicine and making jewelry such as rosaries. Job’s tears are part of the Traditional Chinese Medicine system where it is called yi yi ren.1
Job’s Tears Health Uses and Health Benefits
There are several known Job’s tears benefits as it has been used in folk medicine for centuries. One of the traditional Job’s tears uses is for treating allergy symptoms such as rhinitis. Job’s tears are particularly effective as a topical treatment for healing skin conditions and inflammation because of its cooling effect. Job’s tears has also been used as a traditional treatment for recurrent warts.2
Studies have shown that Job’s tears may also be beneficial for preventing cancer cells from forming and for stopping the growth of tumors. Studies also showed that Job’s tears benefits include being able to lower high cholesterol levels.2
Other Job’s tears benefits for health include:
- Balancing hormone production
- Protecting intestinal health
- Aiding in weight loss
- Preventing osteoporosis
- Promoting urination and alleviating edema
- Stopping joint pain and spasms
- Easing digestive problems
Job’s tears uses also include being a natural remedy for treating and preventing the following conditions:
- Arthritis - Job’s tears benefits including easing joint pain and reducing inflammation in people with arthritis.
- Constipation - Job’s tears for digestive health can help stop and prevent constipation.
- Diabetes - Job’s tears benefits include being able to manage several symptoms associated with diabetes such as weight gain and high cholesterol levels.
- Menstrual Problems - The anti-inflammatory benefits of Job’s tears can help ease menstrual problems.
- Rheumatism - Job’s tears can reduce inflammation caused by rheumatic symptoms.
- Lung Disease - The natural cooling effect of Job’s tears helps to treat lung disease and improve respiration.
Job’s Tears Side Effects and Precautions
There are no known severe or long-term Job’s tears side effects. These seeds are generally safe for everyone to consume in regular quantities and over a long period of time.1