Noni is the fruit from the noni tree. The noni tree goes by the botanical name Morinda citrifolia. It’s a broadleaf evergreen tree that belongs to the coffee family of plants called the Rubiaceae. Noni trees are native to India but grow all around the world, including in the United States, Mexico, Australia and Asia.1,2
Noni fruits are lumpy, potato shaped fruits that have bumps on the skin. They are yellowish-green in color and may even be whitish colored. The flesh of the noni fruit is pale yellow or white and contains rows of small seeds.1,2
Fresh-squeezed noni juice is popular in areas where the noni tree grows. However, today you can buy natural noni juice, or purchase it from concentrate or in powdered form.2
Noni Health Uses and Health Benefits
Noni is highly nutritious and offers plenty of health benefits. Noni contains vitamin C, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, niacin and iron. Noni also contains essential fatty acids and amino acids. It is full of phytochemicals with antioxidant properties, including flavonoids, which help to reduce oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is one of the biggest contributors to developing chronic disease.2
Noni fruit is a natural anti-inflammatory, helping with various conditions, including joint pain and skin irritation. Noni juice is also used to help fight pain associated with cancer and tumors.2
Other noni benefits include:
- Boosting immune system function
- Lowering cholesterol levels
- Preventing and fighting parasitic infections
Noni uses for improved health include:
- Antisocial Personality Disorder - Taking noni may help to improve certain symptoms associated with antisocial personality disorder. This is because noni is highly nutritious and contains a substance known to help elevate mood.
- Depression - Noni juice helps to stabilize tryptophan levels in the body, which are associated with mood and can help with depression.
- Prostate Cancer - Noni juice is a powerful antioxidant that may help to prevent the development of prostate cancer cells.
- Schizoid Personality Disorder - Noni juice is a natural remedy for helping to boost mood, which can help to ease symptoms of schizoid personality disorder.
- Oral Cancer - Noni has natural anticancer properties that can help treat oral cancer and its symptoms.
Noni Side Effects and Precautions
There are no known serious noni side effects. However, people with kidney problems may need to avoid noni juice because of its high potassium content.2