Scientific Name: Mentha x piperita
Properties: Antispasmodic, Carminative, Nervine, Stimulant, Diaphoretic, Anti-itching
What is Peppermint?
Peppermint is most commonly associated with the flavoring that goes into gum, toothpaste, mouthwash and other oral products.Beyond these peppermint uses, this natural herb has been used as a therapeutic treatment as far back as ancient Egyptian times.1
As a herbal remedy, peppermint is available as dried leaves to make a tea infusion. Peppermint is also available to take as a supplement in oil or liquid extract to use as a chest rub or to massage onto other areas of the skin as a topical treatment. Peppermint can also be taken in capsule form.
Peppermint Uses and Health Benefits
There are many peppermint benefits that can be used for herbal treatments. Peppermint is a naturally rich source of vitamin C, manganese and copper. 2 It’s main active ingredients are menthol and methyl salicylate which give peppermint its natural cooling effect.3
Some peppermint benefits include:1,2,3
- Provides soothing and calming health benefits
- Acts as a natural numbing agent through antiseptic benefits
- Relaxes muscles
- Aides in digestion and in reducing nausea
- Possesses anti-cancer benefits
- Acts as a natural expectorant and decongestant
- Provides antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral health benefits
The numerous health benefits make peppermint a great home remedy to treat a variety of conditions. Peppermint can help to treat the following conditions:
- Nausea - With natural soothing and calming health benefits for digestion, take peppermint for nausea to alleviate sickness.
- Motion Sickness - Peppermint oil is an excellent remedy for helping to relax and calm the body and to relieve feelings of motion sickness.
- Gastritis - With many digestive health benefits, peppermint can be taken to improve symptoms of gastritis. Peppermint helps to sooth inflammation in the stomach lining allowing for better digestion.
- Indigestion - As a natural herbal remedy peppermint provides many health benefits for digestive conditions due to its soothing and muscle relaxing health benefits.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Peppermint for IBS is a common natural treatment. Peppermint can help to alleviate cramping, gas and bloating symptoms associated with IBS. By relaxing intestinal muscles, peppermint can act as a bowel-comforting treatment.
- Migraine - Peppermint oil has natural calming and soothing benefits to help alleviate migraines. Peppermint also helps to relax muscles which can lift tension from tension headaches.
Peppermint Side Effects and Precautions
Peppermint is a natural remedy that is safe to use for most children and adults. However, there are some precautions to consider when taking peppermint remedies.
- Never ingest peppermint essential oils- use only as a topical treatment4
- Be cautious about taking peppermint for heartburn or acid reflux as it can cause symptoms to worsen3
- Be aware that combining multiple natural herbs together may trigger side effects3
Always discuss your use of herbal remedies with your doctor if you are taking other prescription medications.
See comments on the community forum
Read what people are talking about this product click here
CuresDecoded worldwide community recommends Peppermint for: