Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) is an edible fungi that offers valuable medicinal benefits. The reishi mushroom originates from East Asia including Japan, Korea and China. These ancient cultures have adopted reishi mushrooms uses in traditional medicine for thousands of years. It is one of the oldest mushrooms used for medicinal purposes. In traditional Chinese medicine, the reishi mushroom is known as Ling Zhi.1
The reishi mushroom has a soft and corky texture with a flat kidney-shaped top. Depending on its age, the reishi mushroom ranges in color from white to reddish brown. 1,2 When used in a medicinal context, the reishi mushroom and its connective strands are turned into an extract, powder, tincture or tea to be consumed as a course of treatment. 1
Reishi Mushroom Health Uses and Health Benefits
Reishi mushroom benefits are many which is why it is considered to be a superfood. Primarily, reishi mushroom is used as an anti-inflammatory. It is also tied to increasing longevity, boosting immune system function and improving mental focus. 1
Studies have also concluded that reishi mushroom cancer remedies are effective in controlling and stopping cell mutation. 1, 3
Other reishi mushroom benefits include:
- Reducing fatigue
- Preventing infection such as flu, UTIs and respiratory infections
- Healing skin conditions
- Treating anxiety and depression
- Lowering the risk of cardiovascular conditions such as heart disease and hypertension
- Protection against food allergies, asthma and autoimmune disorders
- Controlling illnesses such as diabetes, viral hepatitis and HIV/AIDS
The powerful and varying reishi mushroom benefits make it an effective remedy against several conditions. Here are the top reishi mushroom uses:
- Hepatitis - Reishi mushroom can help to treat hepatitis with its natural immune boosting health benefits. Additionally, reishi mushrooms benefits include being important for hepatic function which is compromised when infected with hepatitis.
- Anal Cancer - With powerful anti-inflammatory health benefits, reishi mushroom cancer remedies are effective in treating anal cancer. Reishi mushrooms can help to stop the spread of malignant cells.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease - Reishi mushroom can help to boost the immune system naturally which improves the body’s ability to fight sexually transmitted diseases.
- Prostate Cancer - The natural reishi mushroom cancer fighting properties make it an effective remedy for treating and managing prostate cancer.
- Schizoid Personality Disorder - Reishi mushrooms provide a natural way to control anxiety and depression which can be common symptoms of schizoid personality disorder.
- Hepatitis C - With natural adaptogens, reishi mushroom can help to improve liver function which is important in treating hepatitis C.
Reishi Mushroom Side Effects and Precautions
After thousands of years of medicinal usage, there are very few reishi mushroom side effects. However, there have been reports of potential digestive issues and skin rashes occurring in those with predisposed sensitivities. 1
Always take reishi mushroom as recommended by a doctor or as directed on the product label. In some cases, reishi mushroom side effects result from toxicity by taking too high of dosages. It is also recommended to avoid taking reishi mushrooms when pregnant or breastfeeding. 1