The reproductive part of the wheat plant is called the germ. It’s the embryo of the seed. When wheat is milled, the germ portion is thrown off making it a by-product. The wheat germ oil is then extracted from the germ and used in making various types of foods. 1
Wheat germ oil is one of the highest nutrient sources known. It contains 23 nutrients including protein, B and K vitamins, Omega-3 fatty acids, iron and calcium. It’s also particularly high in octacosanol which is a natural physical performance enhancement. 2
Wheat Germ Oil Health Uses and Health Benefits
Wheat germ oil is the highest known natural source of vitamin E. Its health benefits include preventing cancer, slowing down aging and giving healthy skin. Wheat germ oil for treating abrasions and scars is a proven home remedy. The Omega-3 fatty acids in wheat germ oil contribute to lowering cholesterol and reducing high blood pressure. 2,4
Wheat germ oil has some of the best health benefits known. Here are a few of the most common uses for wheat germ oil:
- Cuts, Scrapes and Abrasions - Cuts are lacerations that penetrate the layers of dermis and they often bleed profusely as well as leaving scars. Abrasions are damage to the outer layer of the dermis and are also called grazes or scrapes. They rarely bleed much and are not likely to leave scarring. Topical application of wheat germ oil to cuts, scrapes and abrasions are a natural remedy as the Omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamins E and K are antioxidants.
- Skin Abrasions - Skin abrasions, or scrapes, are common injuries usually caused by the skin in motion coming into contact with a rough surface. Topical application of wheat germ oil is a highly effective treatment and lessens the chance of scarring.
- Anal Fissure - Anal fissures are tears in the lining of the lower rectal area. Applying wheat germ oil with a swab immediately after bowel movements is an effective natural home remedy.
- Mastitis - This is the inflammation of breast tissue. It’s can sometimes be infectious. The Omega-3 acids and vitamins in wheat germ oil reduce inflammation and discomfort.
- Ear Infection - Ear infections are the most common reason why children are taken to see a doctor. A few drops of wheat germ oil directly in the ear canal stops the infection and the pain.
- Eczema (Dermatitis) - Cracked, itchy and bleeding skin is often caused by dermatitis. While there is no known cure, rubbing wheat germ oil into the affected area greatly soothes the skin.
Wheat Germ Oil Side Effects and Precautions
There are almost no known wheat germ oil side effects to taking wheat germ internally or using it topically except for those with a wheat or gluten intolerance or allergy. 2
Wheat germ oil is dark in color and has a heavy fragrance. It is sensitive to light, temperature fluctuations and oxidation. Wheat germ oil should be stored in the refrigerator and has a shelf life of approximately one year. 2