Fo-Ti is a vine that is native to central and southern China and also grows in Japan and Taiwan. It’s also known as Chinese knotweed.
Fo-Ti is a perennial vine that grows between 3 and 6 feet long. It has smooth reddish colored stems that branch out and produce leaves. The leaves are arrowhead or
oval shaped.1 2 3 Fo-Ti was used by ancient Chinese healers as a tonic for improving kidney health, strengthening bones and protecting the skin from damage among
other Fo-Ti uses.2 4 There have been several research studies indicating many Fo-Ti benefits for health and vitality.2
Fo-Ti Health Uses and Health Benefits
Fo-Ti benefits come from a number of compounds contained in the vine. Important Fo-Ti compounds include stilbene glucosides,
anthraquinone glucosides and its derivatives physcion, emodin, and questin. Fo-Ti also contains resveratrol, a polyphenol that acts like an antioxidant.4 Because
of it’s important compounds, Fo-Ti benefits include:
- Lowering triglycerides3
- Killing free radicals that cause cellular damage that can lead to cancer3
- Enhancing memory and cognitive function3
- Supporting adrenal function2
- Balancing thyroid2
- Increasing estrogen levels2
- Improving cardiovascular health2
- Enhancing sexual drive4
- Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease4
Fo-Ti uses include helping to treat and prevent the following conditions:
- Depression - Because of Fo-Ti benefits for adrenal support, it is believed to be a helpful remedy in balancing hormones, elevating mood and relieving symptoms of depression.
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia) - Traditional Fo-TI uses in Chinese medicine have been as a tonic for helping to lower high cholesterol levels.
- Constipation - Traditional Fo-Ti uses have included constipation relief when taken as a tonic. Fo-Ti is a natural stimulant laxative.
- Erectile Dysfunction - Fo-Ti is considered an herbal remedy for improving vitality and has been used traditionally to enhance sexual performance. This makes Fo-Ti a useful remedy in improving erectile dysfunction.
- Insomnia (Sleep Disorder) - The antioxidant and adrenal health benefits in Fo-Ti can help to improve sleep disorders.
Fo-Ti Side Effects and Precautions
One study showed that Fo-Ti side effects may include having potentially carcinogenic properties.2 Other Fo-Ti side effects also
include potential liver damage and hepatitis when taken consistently in high doses.4 Fo-Ti should not be taken with diabetes medications or conventional laxatives.
Fo-TI should not be taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women.3