Olive leaf extract is the liquid or substance that comes from crushed, ground, blended or juiced olive leaves. Olive leaves are
produced by the olive tree, Olea europaea.1 Olive leaves themselves are green or grey in color and are narrow and pointed at the ends.
Olive leaf extracts have been used by many traditional cultures for medicinal purposes due to the many health benefits. Native
to the Mediterranean and Northern Africa, olive leaf extract was first used by the Ancient Egyptians and then grew in popularity in Moroccan medicinal culture.1
Today, olive leaf extract is available in capsule and tincture products. It can also be made at home by crushing or grinding olive leaves
Olive Leaf Extract Health Uses and Health Benefits
There are many important olive leaf extract benefits for health. Olive leaves are high in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory,
antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal health benefits. Many studies have shown the following olive leaf extract benefits for improved health:1 2
There are many olive leaf extract uses for health. It is an important natural remedy for several conditions including infections, cancers and inflammatory disease. Here are some of the top olive leaf extract uses for treating and preventing conditions:
- Helping cardiovascular health
- Supporting immune system function
- Regulating blood pressure
- Increasing energy levels
- Preventing diabetes
- Reducing risk of cancer
- Improving cognitive function
- Treating arthritis
- Fighting fungal infections
- Cheilitis - The antibacterial and antifungal benefits of olive leaf extract can help fight cheilitis. Olive leaf extract can also help reduce swelling and inflammation caused by cheilitis.
- Toenail Fungus - Olive leaf extract uses include being an anti-fungal treatment for combatting recurrent toenail fungus.
- Yeast Infection - Yeast infections are caused by bacterial overgrowth. Olive leaf extract has antibacterial health benefits that can treat yeast infections.
- Leukemia - Olive leaf extract is believed to prevent the growth of leukemia tumors with its antioxidant health benefits.
- Helicobacter Pylori (H-pylori) - H-pylori is a bacterial infection that can be treated using olive leaf extract. Olive leaf extract is an natural antibacterial remedy that can kill off the h-pylori bacteria.
Olive Leaf Extract Side Effects and Precautions
Olive leaf extract side effects are limited and it is generally safe for most people. If you have low blood pressure, be careful
of taking olive leaf extract as it can further reduce blood pressure levels. Taking high doses can cause olive leaf extract side effects such as upset stomach. In
this case, you can dilute the extract to lower its concentration.1