Impotence, also called erectile dysfunction, is a condition characterized by the inability to get an erection.1 Impotence can also mean when a man is not satisfied with how long his erection lasts or when he is not satisfied with the size or hardness of his erection.1 Erectile dysfunction affects around 20 million men in the United States and impacts their ability to have sexual intercourse.2
What Causes Impotence?
Impotence causes are characterized as physical 90 percent of the time and psychological the other 10 percent of the time.3 Physical erectile dysfunction causes may include:
- Damage to the nerves, arteries, or tissues in the penis
- High blood pressure
- Heart and blood vessel disease
- Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries
- Multiple sclerosis
- Chronic kidney disease
- Injuries from prostate cancer treatments or bladder surgery
- Peyronie’s disease, which is when scar tissue forms in the penis4
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Certain medications5
Psychological impotence causes include:
- Low self-esteem
- Fear of sexual failure4
Other erectile dysfunction causes include lifestyle choices, such as smoking, drinking, using drugs, or not exercising.4
Erectile dysfunction symptoms include:
- Difficulty getting an erection
- Difficulty keeping an erection
- Decrease in sexual desire6
Erectile dysfunction symptoms may include not being able to get an erection at all or only getting brief erections.1 See your doctor if you’re unable to maintain an erection long enough for sex, if you’re experiencing other sexual problems like delayed ejaculation, or if you have a condition linked to impotence, such as diabetes.6
Natural Remedies and Herbs for Impotence
Impotence treatment options range from lifestyle changes to psychotherapy to prescription medications. If you’re looking for a natural impotence cure, try adopting the following herbs and remedies into your diet.
- Cayenne and Garlic - Cayenne and garlic both help dilate blood vessels to improve blood flow.7 Mix one teaspoon of cayenne with one teaspoon of garlic juice in a cup of hot water. Let it cool, then drink.
- Maca - Maca is a natural erectile dysfunction cure that can be taken orally to ease erectile dysfunction symptoms. Take 500 mg three times per day to increase sexual desire.8
- Cayenne Pepper -Boost blood flow to help you get an erection and keep it longer with a cayenne pepper at-home remedy. Cayenne pepper can be taken orally in supplemental capsules or added to your food as a seasoning in powder form.
- Ginseng, Korean - Ginseng found in Korea can prove to be an effective impotence treatment. It works by improving sexual function and can even help with premature ejaculation.9 It can be taken orally or rubbed into the skin as a cream for an effective impotence cure.
- Horny Goat Weed - This natural erectile dysfunction cure contains substances in its leaves that may help improve sexual performance.9
Talk to your doctor before starting on a natural impotence treatment regimen since some herbs used for an erectile dysfunction cure may interact with certain medications and may not be suitable for men with certain medical conditions.