Sexually transmitted disease (STD), or sexually transmitted infection (STI), refers to a range of diseases that are typically acquired through sexual contact.1 The organisms for STDs can be transmitted through semen, vaginal fluids, and blood.1 The most common types of STDs include:
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)2
- STDs don’t always spread through sexual contact, however. They can also be transmitted through blood-to-blood contact or through sharing needles. Mothers with STDs can also pass their infections onto their children during childbirth or when breast feeding.3
What Causes Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)?
Sexually transmitted diseases are caused by over 30 types of sexually transmissible parasites, viruses, and bacteria.2 Things that put you at risk include:
- Being sexually active
- Having a sexual partner who has an STD
- Not using a condom or other protection during sex
- Having multiple sexual partners
- Having a partner who has multiple sexual partners
- Having one STD, which can increase risk of acquiring another
- Having a weakened immune system
- Sharing needles, such as for drugs, body piercings, or tattoos4
You can mitigate your risk by having a mutually monogamous sexual relationship, always using a condom, and having regular checkups even if you don’t have sexually transmitted disease symptoms.
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Symptoms
Oftentimes, individuals may not experience any sexually transmitted disease symptoms even though they’re infected.4 That means the condition can go unnoticed. If sexually transmitted disease symptoms flare, they may include:
- Sores in the genital, oral, or rectal area
- Painful urination
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- Discharge from the penis
- Swollen lymph nodes in the groin
- Pain during sex
- Lower abdominal pain5
Natural Remedies and Herbs for Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)
STDs can be managed through antibiotics and antiviral drugs depending on the type of infection, but they can’t always be cured.6 You can also take natural sexually transmitted disease herbs to help manage your symptoms. Start by trying these sexually transmitted disease remedies:
- Echinacea - Echinacea acts as a sexually transmitted disease herbal medicine by boosting the immune system. It may be helpful in treating herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, or syphilis. Echinacea can also help with pain and boost the ability of antibiotics to fight the bacteria that causes certain STDs.7
- Garlic - Garlic, when taken twice a day in pill form with a glass of water, can act as a sexually transmitted disease natural cure for some infections since it possesses antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Lemon Balm - Lemon balm is one of the sexually transmitted disease herbs that you can apply topically to fight viral STDs, such as herpes.7
- Ginseng - Ginseng might be an effective sexually transmitted disease herbal medicine for certain STDs. Take in pill form several times per day with a glass of water.
It’s important to note that even if your symptoms subside, you could still be infected, so it’s important to continue using protection with your partner to prevent spreading the disease. Talk to your doctor about getting retested to make sure the treatments are working.