While many of us associate licorice with a strong tasting candy, it actually comes from a natural plant called Glycyrrhiza 1. This plant provides a number of benefits for human health. This herbal remedy comes in several forms such as licorice root tea, licorice root sticks and a licorice root extract.
Licorice Root Uses and Health Benefits
Licorice root is used as a herbal remedy to help treat many different conditions. Licorice root is a natural adaptogen herb which means it helps to suppress high levels of adrenal functions, improve endurance and boost immune system function. 2
Licorice root benefits also include helping to relieve inflammation, provide antiviral support, as well as licorice root for skin to help tighten and improve wrinkles.1
Licorice root benefits include being able to heal treat the following conditions:1
- Acid Reflux
-Irritation and inflammation caused by acid reflux can be treated by taking licorice root tea or licorice root extract.It can also improve digestive function and relieve gas which are commonly associate with acid reflux.
- Hepatitis - Licorice root contains a certain level of triterpenoids which have antiviral health benefits. Licorice root can help to fight infections like hepatitis.
- Gastritis - Licorice root tea and extract can be taken when experiencing digestive problems such as gastritis. Licorice root can help to relieve the intestinal inflammation.
- Measles - Measles presents a number of symptoms that licorice root can help treat. For sore throat and congestion, chew on natural licorice root sticks to relieve symptoms.
- Adrenal Gland Disorder - As a natural adaptogen herb, licorice root extract can help treat adrenal gland disorder. Licorice root naturally helps regulate cortisol and balance your adrenal gland function.
- Hepatitis C - With naturally antiviral health benefits, licorice root benefits include being able to help fight the hepatitis C virus.
Licorice Root Side Effects and Precautions
If you are interested in taking licorice root for any of the above conditions or to improve your overall health, be aware of certain licorice root side effects before consuming this natural herb.3
Here are some potential licorice root side effects to consider:
- Licorice root taken in large quantities can increase blood pressure and cause salt and water retention, which can lead to an overall higher risk of heart problems.
- Patients with pre-existing heart conditions such as heart disease or high blood pressure should be cautious taking licorice root supplements.
- Licorice root may also cause a decrease in potassium levels. Avoid combining licorice root supplements with diuretics or corticosteroids to prevent low potassium levels.
- Pregnant women should be cautious using licorice root as a supplement or ingesting it in large quantities. Licorice root pregnancy side effects may result in preterm labor.
Avoid consuming licorice root in large quantities or for longer than a 4-6 week period.3 Discuss licorice root supplements with your doctor before taking them for any condition. If you are taking licorice root supplements, be sure to advise your doctor before combining this herbal remedy with any medications.