Anemarrhena is a small, ornamental plant. It’s scientific name is Anemarrhenae asphodeloides. Native to northern China and Japan, anemarrhena is an important herb that has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for over 2,000 years. The Chinese name for anemarrhena is zhi mu.1,2
Anemarrhena belongs to the lily family and grows up to 20 inches tall. It has grassy leaves and aromatic flowers that open at night. It’s dried roots are used to make herbal remedies. It grows in arid conditions and can endure drought. It’s often found in wastelands, deserts or barren mountains.1,2,3
Anemarrhena Health Uses and Health Benefits
Traditional anemarrhena uses in TCM have included helping to cool down heat-related conditions. It has also been used to relax muscles and reduce back pain.1,2
Anemarrhena health benefits come from its content of saponins, a type of phytochemical found in several plant families. Saponins offer several different benefits for regulating different body systems and improving overall health. Anemarrhena health benefits also include antibacterial, anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties.1,4,5
Anemarrhena has also been used as a way to treat anxiety symptoms by reducing blood pressure, treating excessive sweating, and calming tense muscles. Additionally, anemarrhena is thought to be an effective treatment for constipation.5
Other anemarrhena health benefits include:
- Fighting infections
- Improving respiratory conditions
- Treating dizziness and intense thirst
- Decreasing high sex drive
Anemarrhena uses include treating the following conditions:
- Bronchitis - Anemarrhena helps to treat chronic coughing caused by bronchitis.
- Diabetes - Anemarrhena helps to regulate blood glucose levels in people with type II diabetes.
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - Anemarrhena helps to lower high blood pressure by promoting healthy blood vessels.
- Menopause Symptoms - Anemarrhena health benefits include being able to treat menopause symptoms such as hot flashes by providing a cooling sensation.
- Tuberculosis - Anemarrhena has natural antibacterial properties that can help treat a tuberculosis infection.
- Urinary Tract Infection - Anemarrhena can help fight bacteria that cause urinary tract infections.
Anemarrhena Side Effects and Precautions
Anemarrhena should not be taken by people with diarrhea. Serious anemarrhena side effects may include toxicity and inhibiting heart action when taken in high doses. Always consult a professional herbalist before taking anemarrhena.1,2