Lavender oil is an essential oil that has been used for different purposes for over 2,500 years. Lavender oil has been used for a number of medicinal functions due to its vast health benefits.1
Lavender oil is an essential oil used as a spray, incense, oil burning or topical oil treatment. Lavender in essential oil form is not used internally as an oral medicinal remedy. Lavender oil has a naturally soothing and relaxing fragrance and so its health benefits also have positive psychological effects on the limbic system of the brain. 1,2
Lavender Oil Health Uses and Health Benefits
There are numerous lavender oil health benefits including most commonly lavender oil for skin treatment and hair growth 3. This essential oil is used as a natural remedy due to the following health benefits:1,2,3
- Antispasmodic for muscle soreness and pain
- Sleep inducer for insomnia
- Relief for depression, anxiety and stress
- Fighting fungal infections in skin and nails
- Kills lice and fungal hair conditions while boosting hair growth
- Relief of respiratory conditions such as cold and sinus congestion
- Improves blood circulation
- Heals skin burns and wounds
- Alleviates migraines and headaches by soothing and relieving inflammation
- Acts as an antimicrobial and antiparasitic treatment to heal different infections
Because of these various lavender oil health benefits, it can be used as a natural treatment for several different conditions.
Here are the top lavender oil uses as natural remedies:
- Scabies - Use lavender oil for skin conditions such as scabies. Lavender oil has natural antiparasitic health benefits that can help fight the scabies infection and reduce skin irritation and inflammation
- Headache - Lavender oil is thought the help relieve tension headaches due to its anti-inflammatory health benefits. It also has a pleasant but strong smell that is thought to contribute to alleviating headaches.
- Migraine - Lavender oil may help to reduce migraine symptoms with its natural soothing and anti-anxiety health benefits. By using lavender oil as a spray or topical treatment, it may help to reduce migraine headache pain.
- Chickenpox (Varicella) - Lavender oil can be applied directly to the skin as relief for itchy chickenpox. Its natural anti-inflammatory and skin soothing health benefits can help to heal chickenpox skin rashes.
- Folliculitis - Inflamed hair follicles caused by folliculitis can be treated using lavender oil health benefits. Lavender oil can help to soothe inflamed skin and boost hair growth.
- Skin Abrasions - Lavender oil has natural anti-microbial health benefits that can help to heal wounds, cuts and other skin abrasions and prevent infection. Lavender oil can also be mixed with other natural skin remedies such as coconut oil for added relief of itchy or irritated skin.
Lavender Oil Side Effects and Precautions
Lavender oil is a safe essential oil to be used by most people. However, there are some cautions and potential side effects to consider.2
The following are some possible lavender oil side effects and precautions:2,3
- Dilute lavender oil if using as a topical treatment and be cautious when using on children’s skin
- Do not rub lavender oil directly on or near the eyes or nose
- Lavender oil may cause an allergic skin reaction in people with sensitive skin
If you are pregnant or taking medications, talk to your doctor before using lavender essential oil as a medicinal treatment.