Lemon uses are primarily associated with preparing food dishes but it has also been used in natural health remedies for generations. As a natural and healthy citrus fruit, lemon benefits can be used to help treat a variety of conditions, boost immune system function, and alleviate certain symptoms 1.
Lemon Uses and Health Benefits
Lemon contains several naturally occurring chemicals, vitamins and nutrients that can kill bacteria, clean up damaging free radicals, fight infection, and more. Lemon benefits include the following natural nutrients and vitamins 2:
- D-limonene (produces the unique lemon scent and taste)
- Citric acid
- Vitamin C
- Other antioxidants
Limes can also be used in similar treatments. The difference between lemon and lime is that they have physical differences and come in different varieties. Another difference between lemon and lime is that limes contain slightly different types of flavonoids or antioxidants than lemons do 5.
There are several different lemon uses to treat many conditions. Some of the most common lemon uses in natural treatments include:
- Acne - Acne is a skin condition that produces oils that clogs the skin’s pores. Lemon juice can be applied to acne-prone skin to help soothe and clean clogged pores.
- Body Odor - Excessive body odor can occur due to a number of reasons including possible digestion problems. Lemon can be used as a natural topical treatment to help reduce or prevent secretion by helping fight bacteria.
- Bacterial Vaginosis - Women can develop bacterial vaginosis that can cause itchiness, burning and general discomfort. Lemon juice taken as an oral treatment can help to alleviate some of these uncomfortable symptoms.
- Arthritis - Inflamed joints caused by arthritis can be treated using lemon juice as a natural anti-inflammatory that relieves joint pain cause by inflammation.
- Bad breath - Halitosis, or bad breath, occurs for several reasons including when bacteria is trapped inside the mouth and on the tongue. Citric acid is able to naturally kill off and eliminate the bacteria that causes bad breath by eating lemon or rinsing with lemon juice.
- Hypertension - High blood pressure, or hypertension, can be a serious condition that can lead to other medical complications. Regular consumption of lemon juice can help reduce and manage blood pressure levels and prevent further complications.
Other lemon uses include creating a lemon and honey mixture as an oral remedy for added health benefits.
Lemon Side Effects and Precautions
Though lemon benefits can be highly effective in natural treatment, it can also produce side effects. It’s important to understand the risks of using lemon juice as a natural treatment and take certain precautions accordingly.
Here are some potential side effects when using lemon juice in excess 6:
- Stomach ulcers, heartburn and GERD
- Tooth erosion and decay 4
- Frequent urination
- Skin abnormalities like dryness, flakiness, redness and lightening 3
Take precautions when using lemon juice or taking a lemon detox diet as a natural treatment for any of the mentioned conditions. If you are already susceptible to stomach pain, heartburn or tooth erosion, talk to your doctor about the safe use of lemon as a natural treatment for your unique medical concerns.