Turmeric is an ancient spice from a herb traditionally used in Asian and Indian cooking. Turmeric is also a natural health remedy used for thousands of years to treat a variety of conditions. Turmeric health benefits include using the spice as a natural pain reliever, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial treatment 1.
Turmeric Uses and Health Benefits
As a natural remedy, turmeric health benefits include 1:
- Contains curcumin used to treat infection and boost immune system
- Powerful antioxidant that kills free radicals
- Contains anti-inflammatory compounds
- Reduces blood clotting
- Helps relieve pain
With so many turmeric health benefits, it’s a great spice to add to your diet. Turmeric can be added to food dishes, brewed into a turmeric tea, or applied topically either with dried herbs or a turmeric extract oil 2. There are also turmeric capsules and tablets to take orally.
Common uses for turmeric today include turmeric for skin conditions 3 pain-relief, and disease prevention. Due to its anti-inflammatory effectiveness, turmeric has also been used by arthritis patients to help treat joint inflammation and pain 2.
Turmeric benefits have proven to be highly effective at treating specific medical conditions including:
- Staph Infection - A staph infection typically appears as a skin infection resulting in pimples or boils. Turmeric for skin staph infections can be applied directly to the affected area or taken orally. Drink 1-3 grams of turmeric dried powdered root mixed with water daily. Or apply turmeric fluid extract oil directly to affected skin daily 1.
- Folliculitis - When hair follicles become irritated and inflamed, they can form rashes or pimples on the skin. This condition is called folliculitis and turmeric health benefits can help to reduce the inflammation. Apply turmeric oil directly to affected area daily using a cotton ball or pad. Continue to apply until inflammation stops.
- Gynecomastia - Gynecomastia is a condition affecting young males which causes an increase in breast tissue due to hormonal changes. Turmeric is able to reduce levels of estrogen in the body helping to decrease the tissue in male breasts. Add turmeric to your diet or mix turmeric tea and drink daily to help block estrogen levels.
- Sciatica - Turmeric has natural analgesic or painkilling abilities. If you suffer from sciatica that causes pain, weakness, numbness and tingling in your back legs, knees, and feet, take turmeric daily for natural pain relief. Try turmeric tea or capsules and tablets following the recommended dosage.
- Vitiligo - Vitiligo is a condition that causes skin depigmentation. Turmeric can be applied daily to affected area of skin. Turmeric can also be taken orally each day by adding it to food, brewing turmeric tea, or taking oral capsules or tablets.
- Pressure Ulcers (Bedsores) - Pressure ulcers can be painful and cause infections if left in one position for too long. Apply turmeric extract oil directly to skin daily for pain and inflammation relief.
Turmeric Side Effects and Precautions
Generally, turmeric is a very safe spice to consume for most adults. Consuming too much turmeric consistently over a long period of time can cause side effects such as2,3,4:
- Indigestion, nausea, diarrhea
- Stomach ulcers
- Exacerbating symptoms in those with gallbladder disease
- Increased menstrual flow
Don’t take turmeric if you are on blood-thinners or taking medications for stomach acid as there may be possible interferences. Consult with your doctor about possible health concerns before taking turmeric regularly to treat your condition.